26 April 2015

Homemade Kokum-sherbet

It's summer and the scorching heat is unbearable. I remember as a kid I used to play around with friends getting all sticky and sweaty and never really bothered about the sun and heat.
Mum used to make Kokam Sharbat and call out to us and we used to sit around the table with our tanned faces asking for more.
Somethings don't really change. And Kokum-sherbet to me has never changed.
Now when I have it, it takes me back to my wonderful past and makes me happy happy. I used to take it to school during exams in my bottle so I keep myself fresh while  writing my paper and now I take it to work. Nothing has changed. My Love for Kokam has increased 
To make Kokum-sherbet all you need :
Ingredients
1 cup dried Kokam
2 cups sugar
2 cups water.
4-5 cardamom pods (powder)
1 tsp Roasted Cumin powder
Pinch of salt (optional)
Method :
1. Soak the dried  Kokam in 2 cups of hot water for at least 3-4 hrs
2. After soaking for quite some time, drain the Kokum and preserve the water. Blitz the Kokum in a mixer.
3. Keep the preserved water on heat and add 2 cups of sugar and boil till the mix gets thick.
4. Using a strainer, strain all the juices from the Kokum paste into the water-sugar mix by squishing the paste with the back of your spoon.
5. Add cardamom and Cumin powder and Salt (optional) give it a stir. If the mixture has thickened, remove it from the heat and keep it to cool.
6. Store this mix in an airtight jar.
7. To make the sherbet, take 1 Tbsp of this concentrate and add 250 ml of chilled of Water or Soda.
Serve nice and chilled.
NOTE : Makes 5-6 glasses

No comments:

Post a Comment